1. Cut background fabric to measure 18" x width of fabric.
2. Using a water soluble marking pen or pencil draw a line 2" in from each edge.
3. Select 8 candy bar rectangles and cut in half giving you 16 - 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" squares.
4. Begin laying out random rectangles and squares from edge to edge as illustrated below leaving approximately 1/4" to 1/2" space between. (The sample picture has been washed and so the spaces between tiles appear larger)
5. Pin or glue baste rectangles and squares in place. (I used a glue stick)
6. Layer back, batting, and runner top. Pin together using curved safety pins.
7. Stitch each rectangle/square in place 1/4" from raw edge which will quilt your runner as you go.
8. Trim away excess fabric 1/2" beyond drawn lines.